SEO Tips: 241 Ways to Improve Google Website Ranking
Updated: Sep 5, 2019
Here are 241 quick and actionable and highly effective SEO ranking tips to get your website rank higher on Google.
By getting smart with SEO you get higher rankings step by step. These high rankings create hundreds or thousands of new visitors month after month.
Smarter, faster and easier to be found on Google by investing in SEO
What is SEO? Well ... Search engine optimization (SEO) consists of roughly:
• providing better answers to questions that searchers have ( SEO copywriting ),
• making sure the search engine sees your website the way you see it (technology),
• ensuring that your website is very easy and logical to use,
• making your web pages and your website more visible.
In short, make a better website for searchers.
To rank higher on Google you have to understand:
• what makes a website good,
• how you find out which search terms one should use,
• how to create web pages that visitors like to read and share,
• how to make a web page relevant to a specific topic,
• how to ensure that your web pages are read.
SEO is actually the art and science of fulfilling the needs of seekers.
The best SEO ranking tips to be found better and faster on Google
In this article you can find hundreds of tips that influence ranking in Google.
Note: Performing small individual tips will not cause you to suddenly rank in the top 3. It only increases the chance that you rank slightly higher. For real top positions it's all about all tips (and not every tip is the same), your SEO strategy and the targeted improvement of the website.
Do you know a bit about SEO and are you looking for a handful of tips to increase a few positions? Then you are in the right place.
Now that we have sent everyone to the right place, we can start with all SEO tips.
Below I have incorporated the various activities, parts of SEO, facts and opinions into short readable SEO tips. I have divided the SEO tips into small categories. Each
category discusses a part of SEO.
10 important points about keywords
SEO keywords are the words that searchers search for. To rank on a keyword, a page must be relevant to the topic.
1. Keywords are translated needs of searchers.
2. So do not think in terms of keywords, but in questions, needs and problems.
3. It's about everything that comes with that question. Also, the underlying information needs.
4. The better you fulfil the need hidden behind the keyword, the higher quality your web page is.
5. With the Google Keyword Planner you can see how often a certain keyword (search volume) is searched.
6. The keyword planner provides hundreds of keyword suggestions at the same time, which can help you discover new keywords and gain more insight into the underlying
7. By studying the keyword suggestions, you gain insight into the needs of the target group.
8. Furthermore, you can find keywords that you would not easily think of yourself.
9. The rule generally applies; the higher the search volume of a keyword, the more competition there is (and thus the more difficult it is to rank).
10. For starting entrepreneurs it is therefore useful to first focus on long tail keywords which are keywords consisting of 3, 4, 5 words with a small search volume.
11. It is better to have a second position on a keyword with a search volume of 100 than on the 3rd page on a keyword with a search volume of 1500.
12. To rank on the keyword, the keyword must logically appear in the webcopy. How can the search engine see what the webpage is about?
Copywriting SEO tips
1. To rank for a keyword, the keyword must appear (at least 1 time) in the online content.
2. The more specific the keyword combination is (the more words), the less often the keyword has to appear in the web article.
3. The search engine looks at the entire web page when determining the subject of the page.
4. The search engine looks like a searcher in determining what the most important topics are.
5. The seeker often first sees the title -> the introduction -> and so on. Make sure the keyword - the subject of the page - is clearly visible at the beginning of the
page (in the introduction).
6. It is always better to first write the blog post or any other content with the aim to help the seeker as best you can to solve his or her problem (resulting from the keyword) and only then see if the keyword you want to rank on naturally is in the text. This is often the case. Write for the visitor and then check whether it is clear to the search engine.
7. It is often useful to mention the keyword one time in one of the headlines.
8. A 'head 1' text has more value in terms of SEO (when determining the subject) than a 'head 2' text and so on.
9. When you Google on the search term on which you want to rank, you see below at the bottom of the search engine results page (SERP) related keywords. That related search can become subtopics on your page.
Writing better SEO copy
1. Get inspiration from others who write about the same subject.
2. Think carefully how you can do this better. How can you surpass them?
3. Never copy entire texts (only counterproductive in terms of SEO).
4. You can of course use interesting quotes with reference. This often makes the text more fun / better / easier to understand.
5. The visitor comes to your page with a reason. Make sure they did not land on your page for nothing. So do not promise something that you cannot fulfil.
6. Start with a 'killer' introduction. The first sentence must grab the attention of the seeker.
7. Do not make the first sentence too long.
8. Use headers. Nobody likes patching text. Make sure to tell heads what you are going to tell.
9. Use bullet points (everyone likes lists).
10. Update old articles regularly.
11. Old articles have already proven themselves to Google (and that can have an advantage in the ranking).
12. If you update the article. Then you get a small bonus again, because the article is up-to-date.
13. Have you updated an article? Share it on social media again. The improved article deserves to be read again (NB you get more readers and more chance of referrals) and
referrals are very important in terms of SEO.
14. Do not write very short web webcopy. The best answer to a question is almost never a very short answer.
15. Give one idea or thought per paragraph.
16. Make the headlines understandable and clear (it should briefly explain what the next paragraph / article is about).
17. A bold printed text (strong) indicates that the words are important (for the visitor). But use it very rarely. Usually it is only annoying and adds nothing.
18. Guideline: make a sentence only bold if it is one of the most important sentences in the whole article.
19. Make sure the text flows (logically fits together). Read it aloud.
20. It is almost never necessary to use jargon (language that only your colleagues understand).
21. Do not make paragraphs longer than 5 to 7 sentences.
22. Link to relevant pages (where more information is available on the subject).
23. Clearly indicate what the visitor should do when he has read everything. A clear call-to-action.
The more informative your entire website is, the higher you will rank
• Rewrite low-quality pages (pages with very little text) or supplement them.
• Starting a blog is a good way to keep your website up to date.
Page title SEO tips
The page title is the most important sentence of your entire web page . The visitor must be able to see at a glance what the web page is about. The page title has a direct
and indirect influence on the ranking and the click through rate in Google (that is the percentage that clicks on a link).
• The page title is used by both the visitor and the search engine to determine the content of a web page.
• Use the keyword you want to rank on in the page title (very important).
• The first word in the page title is “worth” more than the second (concerns determining the subject) and so on. This is because the first word is read earlier and more
often than the second one.
• A captivating / interesting page title can provide a higher click through rate (CTR) than your competitors (also those above you). A higher CTR can eventually lead to a
• Try to incorporate the words you want to rank into an interesting and captivating title.
• With the WordPress SEO plugin from Yoast you can create an SEO title, which is only visible to the search engine and in the search results. Download the plugin via
the 'new plugin' option in the WordPress dashboard.
• With a SEO title, relevance is number 1. Let the visitor's request fit in with the offer.
• Look at how your competitors write their SEO title. Try to distinguish yourself from them.
• For example, "241 SEO tips to rank higher on Google" SEO tips is the most important keyword (and that is why it is at the forefront).
• Furthermore, the title stands out (by the number 241) and the title makes a promise.
• Try to write multiple titles. The first title that you think of is often not the best.
• If you write multiple titles, chances are you will concoct a title that is both captivating (making a unique promise) and descriptive. You only have to come up with
• In the search results, the maximum length of a title is 512 pixels. These are about 50 to 60 characters. Try not to make titles too long, but also not too short. Something in the range of 4 - 10 words.
The headlines are used by the search engine to gain more insight into the content of a web page. This is because the purpose of headings is to clarify the content for the
• Use headers, therefore, as you use headlines in an (offline) report (however you use them at work or in your study).
• Why? Because it is clearer and clearer for the user.
• The html code of the first header is <h1> the first header </ h1>, but you can simply create a header via the WYSIWYG editor. You do this by selecting the item and selecting a header.
• The H1 (header 1) has more 'value' than the H2 (header 2) and so on. And by value I mean the header 1 tells what the whole text is about, the header 2 tells what the
subtopics of the text are. And so on.
• Most readers are scanning readers (and often scan the headlines). Try to get "scanning readers" with an interesting and captivating head to read the paragraph.
• With most web pages one H1 tag is sufficient. In the case of very long pages, there could be several (think again of how you did in an offline report.) Only a whole
new chapter got a big head again).
• Make headlines that tell directly what you can find in the next paragraph (s). So tell me in short what you are going to tell. Or start with the conclusion and explain in the paragraph how you came to that conclusion.
Meta description SEO tips
Google does not use the meta description when ranking pages. After the page title, the description has the most influence on the click through rate in the search results (and
we read from the previous section that this may indirectly influence the ranking).
• The meta description shows about 140 characters (or a certain width).
• Most meta-descriptions are copied 1-to-1 and shown in the search engine.
• Google is increasingly creating a description itself to make the description more relevant (unfortunately it does not work well yet).
• When the search term (on which the visitor searches) is in the description, it will be bold (bold).
• When you include search terms in the description, this can indirectly lead to a higher CTR (because bold words are more noticeable).
• You can enter the meta description via Yoast's SEO plug-in.
• Summarize the webpage in the description or awaken the curiosity of the reader. A combination is often the best (and the hardest to make).
• If you do not enter a meta-description, Google will extract a relevant sentence from the online content or the first words of the web page.
• In the ideal world you write a unique meta description for each page.
• However, this is time-consuming. I would say; Write a unique meta-description for every page that ranks reasonably high in Google.
Website analysis and website check
1. With Google Analytics you can see how many visitors come to your website, where they come from and which pages they visit.
2. Also set goals for Google Analytics. This way you can analyse which sources and which pages provide the most sales / registrations.
3. Use Google Search Console (Webmaster tools) for a (mainly technical) analysis of your website.
4. Using the Google Webmaster tools, you can also see an estimate of the number of visitors on each keyword.
5. Through Open Site Explorer you can see who is linking to you and to which page they link.
6. You can also see who is linking to your competitors via Open Site Explorer.
5 things you should remember
1. The keyword meta tag has not been used in the algorithm of the search engine for a long time.
2. There is no perfect 'keyword density' (the number of times a keyword should be in a text). It differs per keyword, niche and web page.
3. There is a decreasing added value of the number of times you use the keyword in the text (too often is even negative).
4. The alt tag is not used to determine the relevance of the web page (but for the Google image search).
5. Do not optimize for the search engine. Optimise for the user and take the search engine into account.
14 domain name SEO tips
1. Exact domain names have (currently and unfortunately) an advantage for the word in question.
2. This advantage is getting smaller.
3. Not every extension has an exact domain name advantage (reasonably new extensions and extensions of countries that are not related).
4. You can easily build a 'brand' around a unique domain name(brand name).
5. Brand names are generally better remembered (top-of-the-mind).
6. Use the domain extension that best fits your website.
7. The older your domain (URL) is, the more trust the site generally has. The more trust a site has, the easier it is to rank the website (Easier, not higher).
8. If you want a space between the words in your URL, use the - instead of the _.
9. Choose a unique domain name if you want to build a brand (long term).
10. Registering multiple (new) domain names and referring them to your main website does not affect the rankings.
11. Do you have a difficult domain name to spell? Then register the most common misspellings (and refer to them).
12. Register your domain name (and order your hosting ) from a provider that is reliable.
12 SEO tips for optimizing and using images and videos
1. Give all images a name (the alt text). The alt text of an image is read by Google's spiders.
2. The use of images and videos can provide a better user experience.
3. Personally, I think that the use of images and videos have a (small) positive influence on the ranking.
4. Use relevant images to visualize a feeling, product or result.
5. You do not have to use images. Do it only if it adds something.
6. Describe the images in 3-5 words in the alt tag.
7. Note the text around an image. Images are partially ranked by the text that surrounds them.
8. Place a meaningful text with the keywords (on which you want to be found) around a video that you post. The search engine can see from this what the video is about.
9. Ensure a good balance of relevant texts, videos and images on a page.
10. Provide high resolution photos (blurred photos do not help you).
11. It seems that YouTube videos tend to rank more easily than articles at a lot of competitions.
12. Images must also be loaded (this can cause your page to slow down).
12 SEO Social Media SEO tips
1. Make it easy for your visitors to bookmark your website.
2. Provide social media buttons on every page that may be shared.
3. Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter and Pinterest are the most popular social media in most countries.
4. Make sure that the social media buttons are easily visible on your web page (make it easy for the user)
5. Give a reason to share your blog article.
6. Choose to be active on 1 to 2 social media (you focus your attention and you get more out of it).
7. This often applies; more = less.
8. Choose the social media networks where your target audience is most active.
9. Does your website revolve around images? Then choose Facebook and Pinterest.
10. New article / page? Share it via social media for faster indexation of the web page.
11. Every message you share is only seen by 5-25% of your followers. So share the article more often (different days and times (PS not spamming)).
12. International website? Think of StumbleUpon and Diggit.
1. Ask people to leave a comment or ask them a question (at the end of an article).
2. Respond to all relevant reactions you receive.
3. Comments = free (relevant) content.
4. Give spam responses no link value with a no-follow link.
5. Stimulate reactions by giving a follow link to relevant reactions .
1. Publish YouTube videos that are optimized for a keyword
2. Link from the video to your landing page.
3. YouTube videos have a larger CTR than normal web pages in the results page of Google.
4. Create related entertainment. Entertainment is shared faster on social media.
1. pages at the bottom of a web page (for example: "read also: ... ..").
2. Link between the web pages . Use descriptive words (with keywords from the relevant page in them) as an anchor text.
3. Link logical (Think carefully which articles will also be interesting for the visitor).
4. Check whether your outbound links still work and whether they have added value.
5. Are you discussing a complex subject? Then link to a page where the topic is explained further.
6. This can be a page on your website, but also on that of others.
7. Personally, I think that linking to reliable web pages from other websites in some cases has a positive influence on the ranking.
8. In any case, it has a positive influence on the quality of your online content (as informative and extensive as possible).
9. If something has a positive influence on the quality of a text, it would indirectly also have a positive influence on the ranking (win-win).
10. The surrounding text also affects the value of the link for on-site links.
1. Do not focus too much on PageRank . The PageRank (which is visible) gives an indication of the number and quality of the links to the website.
2. Non-follow links can in my opinion indirectly influence your rankings, but not your Pagerank.
3. It is of course obvious what kind of no-follow link it is. Is the link natural? Logical? Relevant?
4. PageRank can quickly provide an indication of the value of a page you may want to link to.
5. Make sure you focus on link building on providing added value. Do not spam.
6. The Page Authority gives a better picture of the quality of the web page.
Link building (off-site links) SEO tips
1. In general, the easier the link is, the less the link is worth.
2. Focus on getting the links that visitors generate.
3. Try to get links from sites on the same topic.
4. Use your network. Who do you know? How can you help them?
5. When you help other people, they are more likely to share (or refer to) something from your website.
6. Do not be afraid to link to other relevant websites.
7. Share your knowledge and expertise on other sites. Leave comments, write guest blogs, give interviews etc.
8. You can also conduct interviews yourself. Many people link to interviews on their website that they have given.
9. Do not see link building as building links, but as PR. How can you generate brand awareness in a positive way among the target group?
More visitors with guest blog posts
1. Research on which blogs your target group can be found.
2. Check if the blog has published guest blog posts before.
3. Check the page content of the articles, the number of shares and the number of visitors whether the website is attractive enough for a guest blog post.
4. Analyse which articles on that website have been read and shared the most.
5. Choose a topic that matches your website and the website you want to log into.
6. Build a relationship first. Help them to promote your content. Create goodwill.
7. Then provide information about the topic you want to blog about when you contact them.
8. Promote the article, after publication, on your own social media accounts.
9. Respond to all (substantive) comments on your guest article.
10. Try to arrange with the webmaster that your article will be linked to your Google Author tag.
11. Also make sure that your social media profile is visible with the piece about you (the guest blogger)
The value of a link is determined, among other things, by:
1. Age of the website where the link is on (trust)
2. Anchor text
4. Relevant website (same topic)
5. Non-follow / Follow
6. Diversity of links
7. How many links are there on the page?
8. Where is the link in the page?
9. Text around the link
10. The time the link is on (new links are worth less)
Where do I get left? 13 tips
1. In principle, the quality of a page is determined by the number of qualitative organic incoming links.
2. Here is a very extensive article about link building.
3. In fact, you should focus on creating content that is valued by the user
4. You can also register with Google Places if the location of your company is important to the target group.
5. Report your website to various relevant start pages of your niche market (if there are any).
6. The value of start page links has fallen in value (and will continue to fall).
7. Create an account with Google and put a link to your website in your profile
8. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube? Put a link in the profile to your website
9. Do you have homemade YouTube videos? Then put a link in the description.
10. Self-made images? Make them available but ask for a link to your website (creative commons).
11. Ask customers and suppliers if they want to place a link to your website (also give a good reason).
12. Publish numbers. Research and figures are generally often linked.
13. Name other bloggers / competitors in your articles and tag them on social media. If the article is good and if they come in good daylight, they will be more inclined
to share your article (or refer to your website).
1. Anchor texts are the clickable words that form a link. For example: This is an online marketing blog.
2. Vary your anchor texts (with synonyms for example).
3. Do not try to link with the text "read here". Create a link from a descriptive text.
4. It is not negative when your website is linked to your company name.
5. I even think it's positive (branding)
6. According to a correlation study by SEOmoz, partial-matched (partially focused on the keyword) anchoring text works best.
7. Link with a set of words that gives an impression of what one can expect when one clicks on that link.
1. Do not hide links.
2. Do not hide text.
3. Do not buy links (this is often not good).
4. Do not build entire pages in flash.
5. Do not copy texts.,
6. Not too often mention a keyword on a page (over-optimization).
7. Do not create a website yourself if you do not understand it.
1. Provide a good 404 page.
2. Do you want to change the URL of a page? Use a 301 redirect.
3. Make sure that the most important pages are also the easiest to find / reach.
4. Think from the potential client’s perspective. What is he looking for? What questions does he have?
5. Create an about us page and a contact page (shows trust)
6. Making your own website when you do not have a web experience can make you forget a few technical things. So let a web builder or an SEO specialist look at your
website. WordPress can take a lot of technical matters off your hands.
WordPress SEO tips
1. Use the SEO plugin from Yoast . You can simply download it via the WordPress dashboard.
2. The optimization function of the Yoast plugin is far from perfect. You do not have to have green balls.
3. The design of your website influences how the reader visits your website. A good, quiet and beautiful design ensures that a reader stays longer on your website and
accepts more mistakes from you.
4. A better design means a better impression, a professional impression, more chance of links, more appreciation, a reliable impression and so on.
5. Choose fast and reliable WordPress hosting. This can halve your loading time of your website. This can also give a small boost to your rankings.
Social Media & SEO
1. The value of a link via Social Media will be similar to the value of a current link.
2. Twittercounter.com gives you the statistics of your twitter account, such as growth in followers, following and tweets.
3. Choose one or two social media networks that you will be actively involved in. Less is more.
4. It is more reliable when you have more followers than you follow
5. Schedule tweets via Hootsuite, Tweetdeck and or Buffer. This can save a lot of time.
6. Use an image of yourself or your company.
7. Write a personal and informative bio.
8. Give a reason to click on your link.
SEO technique tips
2. Avoid unnecessary code at the top of the web page
3. Process scripts and css in external files.
4. Process photos that are part of the site layout in the external .css.
Handy search engine optimization tools
1. Google keyword tool
4. SEO plugin from Yoast
SEA & SEO
1. Try to get an organic good ranking with the keywords you advertise. This ensures a better effect.
2. Look at the results page of the keyword you want to rank on and see how much space ads get.
SEO is structurally working on marketing. It is more than just keywords. It's all about the marketing strategy.
Therefore, do not try to see all search engine optimization tips as separate SEO tips, but. It is about fulfilling needs. To make a better website structurally. With logical
layout, logical references, logical topics and understandable sentences.